Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Peeps Predicament

Easter is one of my favorite holidays. I celebrate it every day as I reflect on the sacrifice of my king and what that sacrifice has accomplished in my life. Isaiah 61: 1-3 is like my life’s theme scripture. It is all about the great exchange:


The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is upon me, for the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted and to proclaim that captives will be released and prisoners will be freed. 2 He has sent me to tell those who mourn that the time of the Lord’s favor has come, and with it, the day of God’s anger against their enemies. To all who mourn in Israel, he will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks that the Lord has planted for his own glory. 




I feel like one of those glory oaks. I cry when I think about how kind He is.


But with Easter, comes one of our society’s greatest wastes: the peep. These things also make me want to cry…not tears of joy, but ones of despair. I mean, is there a grosser candy? They are kind of cute with their beady little brown eyes, but mostly they are a waste of ingredients. I tried to like them once when I was 12 or so. Really I did. I thought that if I rinsed of the colored sugar dusting, the inside would be palatable. Fail. 

So what do I do with these things? I can’t throw them away (I don’t throw away edible food – it’s against my religion, lol)….and then it came to me: PEEPS TRUFFLES!

This recipe will not only utilize your leftover peeps, but also the 1lb chocolate bunny and 4 dozen waxy chocolate eggs you’ve been eating even though you don’t really like them. This recipe is a framework for your creativity. You can add candy coated chocolates, peanut butter cups, crème eggs, whatever candy you have left in your or the kid’s Easter baskets. This treat is easier to share with friends and family than leftover Easter candy. It’s unique and looks pretty so you could entertain with it or give as a gift.



Basic peeps truffles recipe:
3c chocolate (whatever is in your basket)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2tbsp butter
2 cups peeps (about 8 peeps)
½ c peanut butter
Powdered sugar, cocoa, or chopped nuts to coat truffles


Step 1
Unwrap the chocolate and place in the mircrowave on %50 power for about 2 minutes. Stir every 30 seconds so it doesn’t scorch.



Step 2
Once chocolate is melted, add sweet condensed milk and butter. Stir and microwave for another minute until the mixture is smooth and melty.



Step 3
Melt peeps and peanut butter in microwave for about 60 second. Stir this sticky mixture into melted chocolate. (you don’t have to add the peanut butter, but I like it.)





Step 4:
Let combined mixture cool. When cool enough to handle, roll into 2” balls and cover in cocoa, powdered sugar, or chopped nuts. Put them in the fridge for an hour then place in a pretty box or container. Eat, share, enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment