Thursday, April 19, 2012

Easy hand painted canvas pillows

One of my favorite crafting supplies is drop cloth canvas. This versatile, natural looking material can be used to make all sorts of crafty things for the nest. Of course there is the obvious canvas painting. Then there’s monogram wall hangings, cloth napkins, table runners, window treatments, totes, no-sew tie together throw rugs, and rustic pillows! It is literally a blank canvas for any design, stencil, or hand painted embellishment. You can find this material at any hardware store or in the painting section of the local buy everything you need store. It comes in a variety of large sizes. I recently purchased a 6’ x 9’ package of the canvas for @ $10! What a value.

I’ve been dressing up the front porch and needed a throw pillow for my freshly painted chartreuse wicker chair (BTW, this chair was orphaned after a tenant vacated our rental. I love finding free stuff…it kind of felt like Christmas morning that day).  I recovered an old outdoor pillow I had in the closet with come canvas. To sew up the canvas around the pillow, I used hemp twine and a darning needle.Then I finished it with a hand painted turquoise bird silhouette. 

I’m really no good with a sewing machine and I like to touch everything with my hands, so the twine worked for me. It looks very homemade. For a more finished look, you could use a needle and thread or a sewing machine.  I made one for the basement sofa that I like too. Check them out below:







No comments:

Post a Comment